2009tour_halfbanner2.jpg

Abq Historic Homes

Live in History

Sponsors

gaar_logo.jpg
artichokecafe.jpg
thegrove
hometeam
sunshine_cafe
stewarttitle
antiquespecialymall
superior_mortgage
metromodel
flyingstar
gb
dat
ingles_company_realtors
edospaces
East of Downtown PDF Print E-mail

View Larger Map
Click on the boundaries for more info

 

Huning Highland: In the spring of 1880 Franz Huning purchased a tract of land just east of the newly arrived railroad from Don Christobel Armijo's Spanish Land Grant. Within months Huning Highland Addition, Albuquerque's first subdivision, was platted and several lots were sold to Easterners who wanted to live in "real houses" not mud homes!

 

The Bird's Eye map of 1886 showed nearly 80 homes in Huning Highlands but the housing boom in Huning Highland really began in 1890's as the railroads brought commerce and increased employment to Albuquerque.  In the 1950's the decline of Downtown Albuquerque and the advent of the new shopping malls in the Northeast Heights had a negative impact on Huning Highland and many of the homes fell into disrepair.  The unfortunate tear down of the historic Alvarado Hotel in early 1970's lit a spark that united many people who banded together to preserve the remaining historic neighborhoods of Albuquerque.  In 1978 Huning Highland Addition was awarded National Historic District status and protection.  The neighborhood began the long road to recovery as more and more people saw the value and importance of saving each and every home and restoring Huning Highland's former elegance.
(Note: The Central Avenue portion of Huning’s may be referred to as “Edo” which stands for East Downtown.)

 

South Broadway: The South Broadway neighborhood developed over a period of time. The oldest settlement is San Jose which began around 1830 when Antonio Sandoval constructed the Barelas ditch to drain and irrigate the then agricultural area. The areas east and north of this area were laid out between 1880 and 1890 concurrent with the establishment and growth of the railroad and the decline of farming in the area. The land owners divided land between their heirs into narrow strips of land which created a distinctive pattern of narrow lots perpendicular to the Barelas ditch. The resulting pattern is one of irregular lot size, some without orientation to either the streets or the ditch.  By a 1941 survey, less than 2.5% of the families in the area reported growing any agricultural products at all.

Martineztown is old neighborhood that sparks a fierce loyalty in its residents. The area east of Broadway and North of Martin Luther King is referred to as either Santa Barbara (old School) or  Martineztown. This traditionally Mexican-American part of town is actually three distinct communities, and residents often act together to accomplish neighborhood goals. South of Lomas Boulevard nearly every building is new, a product of intensive community planning and the generous federal housing subsidies of the 1970s. Old residents live in the new apartments and duplexes; other new townhouses have been bought by Downtown workers who appreciate their nearness to the city center. North of Lomas Boulevard are the winding streets and small, thick-walled adobes of the mid-nineteenth century settlement that is the core of Santa Barbara/Martineztown. Here also stand two important churches in the history of the community--the second United Presbyterian Church at 812 Edith NE, which was founded in 1889, and, high on the sand hills several blocks to the north, the 1916 Catholic Church of San Ignacio. Between these are small stores and a few remnants of the dance halls that once lined the intersection of Edith and Mountain Road. Just north of San Ignacio Church is the renovated, historic Santa Barbara School. The school building now contains apartments for seniors, city offices, and a photographic history of the community.

This site is still under development, More neighborhood information coming soon