Abq Historic Homes

Live in History


North Valley PDF Print E-mail
Previous Next

Los Griegos

710 Candelaria Rd NW

Aprox Yr: 1946, 3 Bed/2Bath, 1932 SF
$244,900 MLS# 633188

This house was built as a labor of love! Having arrived back to Albuquerque from serving in the Navy during WWII, Wilbrod, "Bill", Chauvin was given a one acre lot to build a home for his family. One of several that his extended family owned in the neighborhood.

He had made commercial electrical contracting his trade and developed a substantial reputation as an electrician. His reputation for quality workmanship and good character gave him a prominent place in the network of tradesmen at that time. Those connections allowed him to call on his friends, family and business associates to assist him in all facets of construction.

Even though his family was not particularly wealthy, these liaisons allowed him to incorporate many quality features into the home that were not necessarily common for the day. For example the house is framed with 2X12 lumber cut on the bias, which was reclaimed from important buildings that were being demolished in the downtown area, making way for newer construction. The red brick, brought in from Texas because there was no brick manufacturing in Albuquerque, was laid against the framework for a very solid construction. Excess bricks were used to construct the playhouse in the back yard.

Neighbors of the time considered his family to be very wealthy folks since only the well-to-do could afford round windows, such as the one in the front of the house. No one realized that it was the generosity and great skill of family and friends that made this labor of love possible!


Willie Butt
331-1150 direct

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The Ingles Company Realtors
(505) 828-1366


North Valley

308 Sandia Rd NW

Aprox Yr: 1940, 2 Bed/1 Bath, 1565 SF
$259,000 MLS# 637399

308 Sandia Road is located in the Historic Los Alamos Addition. Located in the center of Albuquerque’s North Valley the Architectural style of homes include: pueblo Revival, Minimal Traditional, early Ranch, Bungalow, Mediterranean, Territorial Revival and Streamlined Moderne. This neighborhood is one of Albuquerque’s first suburban developments platted in 1937 and consists of four Tree Lined Streets set around an acequia system fed by the Gallegos Lateral.

These five acequias provide irrigation for extensive gardens, landscaping, and domesticated animals. The ditches allowed for socializing and the sharing of irrigational duties among the neighbors. Also of cultural interest are the “heritage trees” lining the streets which include” Siberian Elms, Lance leaf, Raywood Ash, Silver Maple, Mugho Pine, Japanese Pagoda, Cork Bark Fir, scots Pine and a Redwood Tree amongst others.
308 Sandia Road NW $259,000
Charming Vintage Casa in the Beautiful and Historic Los Alamos Subdivision. Enjoy the Tranquil Amenities of the North Valley from this Convenient and Accessible Location.
Situated on ½ Acre with Irrigation this home is on a beautiful tree lined street. The Living Room with Arched Entrance, Hardwood floors and Fireplace for Chilly Evenings is filled with Gracious Charm. The kitchen opens to the Dining Room and overlooks the Xeriscaped Front Yard -Bursting with Color!! The Delightful Family Room with wood burning stove and wall of windows lets the sun shine in.

Need More Room??? Take a look at the 554SF Shop and let your imagination take over. A Great Studio, Spacious Home Office, In-law Quarters or even a Master Bedroom Suite. The Basics are there – just finish it to your desires and needs.

Shown by Appointment. Lisa Parker 505-220-7068


Lisa Parker
(505) 220-7068

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Keller Williams Realty
(505) 271-8200


Special Recognition

6708 Tierra Dr. NW

OPEN SUNDAY ONLY, NO Saturday hours
Apx. Yr: 1790, 10 Bed/7 Bath, 6739 SF
$1,972,000 MLS #645596

The current day Hacienda Antigua was built in 1790 by Don Pablo Yrisarri.

Don Pablo Irizarri was born in the Basque country of Spain in the mid 1750s. Like his father, General Santiago Irizarri, he became a soldier in the Spanish army. He was sent to Vera Cruz, Mexico by King Charles III of Spain in the late 1770s. He was commissioned by the King to “recover 1600 burro loads of gold, silver, and valuable church vessels” reportedly buried in the ruins at the Mission Gran Quivira, southeast of Albuquerque. The gold had been taken from the Spanish missions and hidden by the Friars, prior to the Pueblo Revolt in 1680. Whether Don Pablo found the treasure remains a mystery.

Given political tensions at this time, between the Spanish and Mexican governments, Don Pablo changed the spelling of his name to Yrisarri, to conceal his identity and avoid arrest and deportation by the Mexican government.

As a personal envoy from the King of Spain, Don Pablo was given a land grant of thousands of acres, eventually to become known as the Elena Gallegos grant. Don Pablo also acquired other properties throughout the State. Records show Don Pablo’s hand set to official records in Atrisco Land Grant matters in 1782, and later the Sedillo Grant. This and other land grants like it were given to the Don’s as compensation for their “forbearance and endurance in performing the King’s assigned tasks in the face of personal hardships and adversities”. Don Pablo and his son, Don Mariano, built the Yrisarri House, which is the present day Hacienda Antigua, and established a ranch upon this property.

In the early 1820’s, Don Pablo together with his son, Don Mariano, also became merchants by establishing and running a wagon train business from this location. The wagon train route originated at the ranch and traveled down the El Camino Real to Mexico City. However, his wagon train trail didn’t end there. From Mexico City, the Yrisarri wagon trains traveled southwest to Vera Cruz, Mexico. After trading their goods they traveled north to New Orleans, then up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, the gateway to the east. Then when well stocked with goods, the wagons began their southward trip down the Santa Fe Trail to Santa Fe. From there they continued on south via the El Camino Real to the ranch (and mercantile). As a rule, they made this trip twice each year.

As a result of this endeavor, Don Mariano became one of the leading merchants of the Southwest, by establishing a chain of trading posts throughout New Mexico. He is referred to in historical documents as “a wealthy 19th century merchant who was one of the most influential businessmen and patrones of the Albuquerque area”. Other documents state “The Yrisarri‘s, they were wealthy people. In the wintertime, on sunny days, they’d pay the help to get the gold they had stored in a cellar, and take it out to dry so it wouldn’t mold.”

In 1849 the first stage coaches appeared at the Yrisarri house, which was the first stop in the journey from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. The stage coaches ran from Kansas City to Santa Fe. The fare for the trip was $200 and included forty pounds of luggage and two blankets. The trip took two bone jarring weeks.

In 1883, land was deeded to New Mexico and the Southern Pacific Railroad. It is believed that the Yrisarri House was a stop on the trip to Santa Fe, although there is no documentation of this fact.

Don Mariano Yrisarri, after two marriages, left eight children. His last will and testament shows that he divided his wealth and property, one half to his wife and one half equally among his eight children. They later traded and deeded their properties among each other. Pablo J. Yrisarri, the seventh child, ended up as owner of the ranch property and the Yrisarri House.

In Pablo J. Yrisarri’s will, dated in 1921 (four years before his death), he decreed that his brother Eugenio could live in the House at no cost except to pay the taxes and upkeep. In the event of the death of Eugenio, Pablo’s sister Emelia had the same privileges. When both Eugeneio and Emilia died, the property was then to become the possession of Pablo’s only son, Joseph L. M. Yrisarri.

Eugenio lived in the house for many years until his untimely accidental death at the hands of a railroad train, while crossing the tracks in his famous single-horse drawn buggy.

After Eugenio’s death, (Emelia was living elsewhere, and never moved into the House) no one lived in the House and it was for a time abandoned. Unfortunately, during this time it was often vandalized by people looking for legendary gold supposedly buried somewhere in the floor or the walls. Eventually, in 1946, the very large ranch property was subdivided into the Zia Gardens neighborhood.

In 1955, Charlie and Winnie Whitmer purchased the House, becoming the first non-Yrisarris to own it. A subsequent owner named Tomelic lived there for a short time and then sold in it 1967 to Kenneth and Donna Miller. The House was purchased and converted into the Hacienda Antigua Bed and Breakfast Inn by Ann Dunlop and Melinda Moffitt in 1990.

In 2002, the property was purchased by its current owners, Robert and Susan Thompson, who continue to operate it as a bed and breakfast.


Sandra Hildebrand
William Landgraf

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Premier GMAC
(505) 798-6300



UNM & Nob Hill
East of Downtown
North of Downtown
West of Downtown
South Valley
North Valley
Surrounding Areas